New measures to stop fires caused by smoking materials announced

Written by admin on 25/08/2019 Categories: 广州桑拿网

WATCH ABOVE: Massive condo and apartment fires have been caused by smoking material. But, changes are coming and Vinesh Pratap goes through the details.

EDMONTON — Concern over recent condo fires led to Edmonton’s fire chief and Alberta Municipal Affairs announcing new measures Monday to fight fires caused by improperly disposed smoking materials.

广州桑拿

Related

  • Cigarette put in diaper container caused massive Clareview condo fire

  • 5 tips to prevent fires from smoking materials

  • UPDATE: Cigarette butt to blame for west Edmonton townhouse fire

    “Fires caused by the improper disposal of smoking material are completely preventable, and yet are the cause of some of our city’s most dangerous and devastating fires,” said Fire Chief Ken Block.

    “As we have seen, the actions of an individual can have a profound and permanent impact on residents, emergency services and our city at large.

    In May, a cigarette butt put in a diaper container on a balcony sparked a massive condo fire in Clareview that caused more than $16 million in damage.

    READ MORE: ‘It’s just a mess’: residents allowed back into Clareview condo after fire 

    “I am personally asking Edmontonians to take responsibility for their actions related to fire use,” said Block.

    “If you are going to smoke, it must be disposed of in a proper receptacle.

    “Let’s work harder to keep each other safe.”

    Block – along with Jeremy Wagner, acting deputy fire commissioner with Alberta Municipal Affairs – announced they will pursue stricter enforcement of fire code regulations in apartments and condos. Officials will also look at other changes to help prevent similar fires.

    Edmonton Fire Rescue Services will be working with condo boards and owners to have proper smoking receptacles on balconies of residential complexes by 2016, if smoking has not been prohibited altogether.

    EFRS will also explore other improved fire safety features that will limit the spread of fires that start on balconies of complexes built under previous building codes.

    “Last year, seven people in Alberta lost their lives because smoking materials were not safely extinguished,” said Deron Bilous, minister of Municipal Affairs. “Please remember that fire safety is a responsibility we all share. Edmonton Fire Rescue Services have launched an important life-saving awareness campaign and I commend them on their initiative.”

    READ MORE: 5 tips to prevent fires from smoking materials  

    On Monday, the “Stub itRight, Don’t Ignite” campaign was launched. Officials say it will teach people how to properly dispose of smoking materials and raise awareness of the devastating impact these fires can have on communities.

    Since 2010, smoking materials that weren’t handled properly have caused more than $45 million in damage to multi-dwelling homes.

    Over the past five years, 97 fires have been attributed to the improper disposal of smoking materials.

Comments Off on New measures to stop fires caused by smoking materials announced